Apparently November is some type of Gratitude Awareness month, which I’ve surmised from reading all of the “Today, I’m grateful for …” posts I’ve been seeing on Facebook.
I actually love this idea, although it can certainly skew a bit twee. Overall, though, I think stopping the carousel once in a while to appreciate the view is a Good Thing.
So, in that spirit, here’s what I’m grateful for in this moment.
- The existence of cronuts. Yes. I said it. Family and friends, of course I’m grateful to have you. (Or really, for you to continue having me). But cronuts, that’s another love entirely. Basically a cronut is what happens when a croissant and a donut have a baby. Pure heaven. The ones from this place should be illegal.
- Hearing a great song on the radio. I have another post where I’ll expand on this, but isn’t it awesome to stumble upon a an auditory relic you love but haven’t heard in ages? At the risk of totally embarrassing myself right now, I’ll admit that when this song came on this morning during my short drive, I turned the volume way up.
Best line: I saw a werewolf drinkin’ a pina colada at Trader Vic’s and his hair was perfect. Love the inflection on “perfect.”
- Being able to run. Today I ran 11 miles. Now I know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I dig it. And I’m glad to be able to run. I attribute my love of running directly to my Dad, who ran throughout the 70s and 80s when it wasn’t a Thing yet. He had a lot of tall sweat socks and when it was cool outside, he almost always wore the same navy blue windbreaker that he’d had since high school. At first I’d bike alongside him as a kid, then by high school, we’d run together. We even did a 4 mile loop the day I got married. Sadly, that was one of the last times we ran together. My Dad’s been dead now since 2002, and one of the things I always wanted to do was run a marathon for him – a dream he didn’t get the chance to achieve. I finally did it in 2006 (and 6 times since), and there’s always a moment in the race when I get choked up thinking about how he would love to be right beside me, and I feel profoundly lucky to be able to even be at the starting line.
- Being done with a marathon. Honestly, the during part isn’t too hot. But done? Yeah. Cronut time!
- And because I’m gross and shallow, I always get a rush of excitement (ok, not quite noble gratitude) when I see a package on our doorstep. This week, I am pretty darn grateful to Nordstrom for their fast and free shipping, double and triple points days (plus a 10 point day coming up! Ahhhhhh!), and the huge box that just arrived on my doorstep containing things like this: