While I want to be stylish, I have to admit it’s also time to look age-appropriate.
The bad part of being 41: Do I even have to say it?
This should be self-explanatory. I. Am. 41.
Don’t rub it in.
I recently ran across some good tips on what to wear to look young, and they are worth repeating.
- Wear ankle boots. I have a few, including my beloved Rag and Bone Newbury boots (an investment that has already given dividends; seriously, I love these boots) and a neutral suede pair from Sam Edelman. Madewell also consistently sells a perfect style.
- Wear jeans, but wear the right jeans.
Never, ever these:
This is what you want:
The reason these Madewell jeans are perfect is that they are dark, understated, and look great while not detracting from the whole outfit.
- Invest in – and wear – the perfect white t-shirt. This one from Splendid is just right.
- Pull it together by wearing all of the above with a classic, well-fitted blazer. The J. Crew Schoolboy blazer can’t be beat. Roll up the sleeves, too.
- Don’t over-accessorize. You want to look cool and casual, not like you’re emulating a Christmas tree.
- Even if you’ve got the body for it, don’t ever, ever wear anything like this:
This is hideous. If you are old enough to have graduated from college, this brand is not for you.
- Consider a pair of slim-fitting, black ankle pants. That may sound scary, but a pair like this that fits well is surprisingly flattering and versatile.
- Wear fun kicks. Like these:
- Pile on delicate jewelry. Three chain necklaces at once? Ok. A stack of bangles? Also ok. But see above about not emulating a Christmas tree.
- Wear hip glasses. Like these:
These rainbow Alain Mikli frames are mine. Never fail, they inspire compliments.
Most of the time, I am unsure if I am cool enough to wear them.