Last week the travel section of our local newspaper ran an interesting article about how to gain the favor of flight attendants.
While I wouldn’t follow all the tips (Bring homemade treats to share? Ummm, no), some of them were worth repeating.
- Say hello. I’m occasionally guilty of boarding a flight and not greeting the attendant at the door. As the article pointed out, how would you like to say “hi” to more than a hundred people and have them all ignore you?
- Thank them on the way out. This is my own tip, but I usually try to thank the flight attendants as I deplane.
- Wheels in. Stowing your carry-on bag the right way saves them from hauling it out later on and performing an airline version of Tetris.
- Offer your magazines to the crew once you’ve read them. Waiting around the airport is boring. This week’s “People?” Yes, please.
- Take your headphones off when they’re speaking to you.
- If you’re ordering coffee, be specific about what you want in it. Cream? Two sugars?
And the best way to get upgraded: Dress well. No sweatpants.
Other tips are here.
I’m heading back to Orlando today for a quick work trip, so this is particularly timely for me!