This feels fragile, since I’m typing before I’ve actually left the Continental 48.
With my passport arriving in the nick of time, I’m hoping that I’ll be in Dublin, Ireland, as you read this.
For this trip, I took a cue from Hitha On the Go and packed a duffel for my European trip.
Why a duffel?
A 54-minute layover at La Guardia cemented the deal to carry on, only.
What I brought, more or less:
- This Kate Spade Saturday Weekender bag, which appears to no longer be available since the Saturday brand closed shop.
- Three pairs of shoes: Converse shoes for the plane and walking around, Tory Burch flats for anything slightly dressy, and running shoes.
- Running gear, since we’re going for a race. This is all tucked into the bottom of the bag, which has a zippered compartment.
- A larger bag to use as a purse and my favorite crossbody nylon bag (tucked inside the bigger bag for travel), plus a necklace, fancier earrings and sunglasses.
- Two sweaters (one from Athleta and the other from an early Stitch Fix)
- A Treasure and Bond plaid shirt (on sale at Nordstrom), a striped Splendid long sleeved tee, and two tanks (blue, black)
- A thin black Splendid sweater
- Two pairs of jeans (skinny, boyfriend) and a pair of printed pants from Athleta (not shown, which is a shame because they are very cute and on sale right now)
- Two scarves
- Compression socks to keep my legs fresh on the plane
- PJs, underwear, socks (not showing, sorry!)
- Toiletries (here’s where I used up a lot of the samples I’ve hoarded, including a lot of single-use foil packets. This is also a great compact travel razor)
Here’s how I’m putting the outfits together:
1. Layered outfit to travel to Ireland (jeans, a white tank, a Sundry tee, Athleta sweater, scarf, Converse shoes, necklace):
2. Saturday for packet pickup and walking around (boyfriend jeans, blue tank, plaid shirt, Converse shoes):
3. Saturday dinner (black tank, black sweater, printed pants, flats, fancy earrings, printed scarf, nylon crossbody bag)
4. Sunday #1 – Race outfit (see above)
5. Sunday #2 – Pub dinner (jeans, blue tank, white sweater, flats, scarf, earrings)
6. Monday sightseeing – Recycled outfit from Saturday night’s dinner
7. Tuesday traveling home (jeans, striped tee, Athleta sweater, Converse shoes)
Here’s a shot of almost everything that went in the duffel, minus the running stuff which was already in the bottom compartment:
It all fit neatly into the bag with some room to spare.
I was aspiring to wear everything twice, and I might not quite get there with a couple of the pieces, but I can live with that.